Blog titles are just as important as the blog articles themselves. Highly searchable, blog titles need to have the right balance of keywords so search engines pick up on them as relevant sources of information for readers.
When writing blog titles for search engines consider these tips:
- Make your title a phrase someone would actually search for. Instead of “Blog titles are important” try “how to write effective blog titles.”
- Don’t stuff an abundance of keywords. If it doesn’t make sense, don’t use it.
Blog titles also need a grab a reader’s attention and make them WANT to read your blog post. Top 5, 10, and 20 lists are great attention grabbers, as are titles that promise quick tips, helpful advice, and current topics. Those being said, keep these things in mind:
- Be truthful. If your blog article doesn’t have 10 ways to get more Twitter followers, don’t make that your title.
- Over embellish – but just a little! Talk up your products and services, but certainly don’t mislead about them.
- Keep it short. Your blog title should not be longer than one neatly written sentence.
As with all things blogging, find a balance between making your readers and followers happy, as well as your search engines. Readers hate liars, and search engines hate keywords stuffers. Don’t be either. Make your blog titles short, interesting, and truthful but also make them searchable and appropriately keyword rich.
As for Nancy Grace – I’m not sure how you tapped into my psyche, realized my worst nightmare and made it a reality, but well done m’lady. Well done.